Crane Hot Line, published by Maximum Capacity Media, has named the industry’s Top Trainers in its fourth annual recognition of corporate and professional trainers. The winners are featured in the November 2011 issue. Nominees represented a range of businesses—from crane rental companies and contractors to companies working in petrochemical and manufacturing industries, as well as crane and rigging dealers.
Nominations were made by individuals who had received training from the candidate, by the trainer’s supervisor, or by an industry colleague. Nominations were accompanied by an essay describing why the nominee should be considered.
Nominees were evaluated by the Crane Hot Line staff and by a representative of the Association of Crane and Rigging Professionals (ACRP), which endorses the program. Candidates were judged on a scale of 1 to 10 in each of the following areas:
- Use of innovative or hands-on instruction;
- Encouraging peer or corporate accountability;
- Evidence that the training was successful; and
- Overall impact on the students, environment, or industry.
Bob Berry, director of safety for Sims Crane & Equipment Co., Tampa, Fla., has been named the 2012 Corporate Top Trainer. With more than 20 years experience as a safety professional, Berry has been instrumental in implementing skills improvement training for operators, a Stretch & Flex program, and an awards program designed to encourage safety accountability.
n the Professional category, Crane Hot Line recognizes Jim Cox, a trainer for Industrial Training International, Woodland, Wash. Just three years ago, Cox made the transition from sales training to crane and rigging training, but according to a Crane Hot Line judge his fresh insight and enthusiasm makes up for years of experience.
Each of the two Top Trainers will receive a scholarship, made possible through donations of Top Trainer sponsors, which may be used to further their own industry knowledge or may be awarded in their name to a student of their choice. They also receive a complimentary registration to the 2012 ACRP General Assembly meeting, to be held May 8-11, 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio.
Those earning Honorable Mention in their respective categories are:
- Tom DeSoo, I&I Slingmax, Aston, Pa.
- John Newby, The Crosby Group, Tulsa, Okla.
- Dub Norris, Barnhart Crane & Rigging, Memphis, Tenn.
- Don Childers, Nationwide Crane Training, Corona, Calif.
- Larry DeMark Sr., Equipment Training Solutions, Stratford, N.J.
- Harley Gist, Construction Rigging Consultants, Black Canyon City, AZ
- John O’Connor, Crane Inspection & Certification Bureau, Orlando, Fla.
Complete reviews of each of those recognized can be found online in the November 2011 issue of Crane Hot Line.
2011 Top Trainer Sponsors
- Platinum Corporate: The Crosby Group
- Platinum Professional: Liebherr